Friday, October 17, 2008

Learning Technics & Let's Play Music


There are 2 programs out there that have blessed my family ALOT. I just wanted to share the progress of my kids and pass on some of the answers to our prayers in case they may also be the answers to some of yours.

So, Max is fabulous and bright but has always had a hard time "focusing" "staying on task" "completing work" ect. Now, this is normal for kids but is was to an extreme for Max. Toward the end of first grade, he was below grade average and we were worried. He wasn't suffering so badly that he was going to the resource room or diagnosed with any type of learning disorder - he was just in that lower third that get forgotten and slip between the cracks. My blessed mother-in-law (whose been through everything) had used a program that we prayed about and eventually tried. It's called Learning Technics (that's not a mis-spell)www.learningtechnics.com and it's really changed Max and his future. After his evaluation we learned alot about his brain, the way it learned, and his personal deficiencies. Tonight is our last night of the 28 week program. I am so proud of Max. He went from being unable to track a moving object for more than 10 seconds to being able to hold his focus undivided for more than 7 minutes. His visual memory has been greatly improved and he now understands the steps it takes him personally to memorize and embed things in his brain. He has learned that everything is hard at first but that HE can succed if he calms down and practices. He has had so many personally succeses through this program. I was just about blown away at his parent-teacher conference to learn that he scored one point away from being above grade average. Now, his struggles aren't wiped away, but we now know how to break is down and make things more manageable and we know how he learns. Do you understand the gravity of this? We know how Max learns! We have the keys to his success. We have power; he has power. It is a wonderful feeling to know that there are tools when you feel hopeless. So, thank you mom, thank you Learning Technics, and thank you Max.

Now, Let's Play Music (www.letsplaymusicsite.com). Wow! What a program. It's designed by a BYU music teacher and is now a national franchise that a sweet friend began doing last year. My kids have learned so much! It is taught once a week in a group setting with about 8 kids. My kids think they are having a play date but they are really learning music theory. Can a 5 year old understand intervals? YES. Can a 5 year old recognize major & minor and appreciate classical music and associate the staff with the key board? Yes! It's a 3 year program and at the end these little musicians are writing their own music and transposing into different keys and playing at an intermediate level. Now, I know alot of you who would be incredible Let's Play Music instructors so look into it!

7 comments:

Gibb Family said...

Wow thats awsome! Good job Max for sticking with it!

Russell & Jammie said...

So fun that you commented on my blog. Now I have your blog!!! YAY! You are beautiful by the way. I love the close up of you... during your family photo shoot! WOW. Who took your pictures? Diana Palmer? She is amazing! I miss them. They moved out of the ward not to long ago. Anyways. We need to get together... and I need to get you those pictures. Ahhh! I am a slacker huh? Thanks for still being our friend.

SarahAnne said...

Those both sound great. I think one of my kids could benefit from the Learning Technics. I'm def going to look into it!

Angie Miller said...

Cami - I found your blog through Amy's. and I am so excited to see you again! Glad to see things are going well with you and your family.
Angie (Bergstrom) Miller

Within These Walls said...

You are such a wonderful dedicated mother. I am so grateful for your example. So glad that the program has made such a huge difference for Max!

Beth said...

I am glad you found something that has helped Max so much. I love that line about giving you and him power and breaking it down into pieces. It's so hard to do that sometimes. Very cool.

Amber said...

Cami!

I'm so glad you found such great resources for your family and for the progress Max has made. I love the picture by the way-- absolutely gorgeous! Miss you guys!